Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Yzerman to leave Detroit?

Steve Yzerman has hinted at the fact he may be out of the Detroit Red Wings organization sooner than later.

From the National Post,

NHL: Yzerman hints he may leave Wings for better job
Posted: September 23, 2008, 11:00 AM by Noah Love

Steve Yzerman has known no other NHL organization other than the Detroit Red Wings.

After he was selected fourth overall in the 1983 entry draft, he spent 22 seasons with the Wings, winning three Stanley Cups. Now 43, Yzerman has spent the past three seasons in the Wings’ front office.

But the Ottawa native can see a time when he may have to part ways with the organization he’s become synonymous with.

“I guess I would just say that I’ve got certain things that I want to accomplish in hockey, and that opportunity may or may not be here in Detroit,” Yzerman told the Detroit Free Press.

Wings general manager Ken Holland has been entrenched in his role since 1997, winning three Stanley Cups as GM and another one as an assistant GM. He’s signed to a contract through 2011, as is assistant general manager Jim Nill. Holland is 52, while Nill is 50.

In other words, the Detroit GM role may not be open for several years to come.

“I’m really happy doing what I’m doing, and I’m enjoying working in the organization and trying to add value and help out,” said Yzerman. “I’ve learned a ton, and I will continue to learn just by being around. But I have goals, and because our organization is deep in the management level, and our guys are successful and they’re young — it’s something that at some point, we’re going to have sit down and discuss it.”

No comments: