Monday, June 15, 2009

Sore losers

The Detroit Red Wings just look like poor losers if you ask me.


After losing the Stanley Cup in game 7 to Crosby, Malkin and gang the Detroit Red Wings players complained that Sidney Crosby did not shake hands with the whole team... specifically Wings captain Niklas Lidstrom.

There seems to be a lot of comparisons of Crosby's extended post-game celebrations with that of basketball's LeBron James... who the eff cares?

He won. It went seven games. Emotions were high. They lost to that exact team last year in the finals. Crosby deserved to celebrate... not to mention he got swarmed by every media outlet and their dog after the final buzzer.

So it would've been nice for the Red Wings to cut the kid a little slack.

In Lidstrom's defense, he took it in stride and said that, "Sidney was probably caught up in the emotions and everything."

And in Hossa's defense, "After the game, when I start shaking their hands, I did not think, 'Who is there and who is not there?'" Hossa said. "After, I think about it and I thought that I did not remember shaking hands with Sid. I'm sure he was caught in the emotion and did not know where he was. I know him. He wouldn't do it deliberately. He is a great guy. I think he was just excited and caught up in the emotion."

But Zetterberg called it "disrespectful" and Kris Draper said, "Nick was waiting and waiting, and Crosby didn't come over to shake his hand that's ridiculous, especially as their captain, and make sure you write that I said that!"

Seriously guys, you would never know that you're part of the team that is supposed to be full of veterans. You lose and this is your response? I would expect this from a young team like Pittsburgh. I'm sure there are players that didn't shake hands after last year's final, but there was no uproar from the Penguins.

As for Crosby, "My intentions were to shake hands," Crosby told the Post-Gazette. "That we didn't wasn't me trying to avoid it."

And I believe that to be the truth. Crosby is not the type of player to not shake hands on purpose. More to that point, usually if someone doesn't want to shake hands, it's the losing side.

No comments: