Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I didn't even know you could do that.

And my day just got a bit stranger.

I was doing a quick one-over of the headlines. I'm completely exhausted and spent the day pouring over a television script. I just got my hands on my first coffee of the day so I figured my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Nope. Roberto Luongo is now the Captain of the Vancouver Canucks.

They announced it today. I google newsed it and sure enough it's there.

Apparently as a goaltender he is not allowed to physically wear the captain's C on his sweater (for whatever reason). Which would explain why I figured it just plain wasn't allowed.

And in fact it hasn't really been that common. The last goaltender to be the captain was Montreal Canadien Bill Durnan of the 1940s. And there were three others ever (says wikipedia).

Canadian Press:

VANCOUVER - The Vancouver Canucks have named goaltender Roberto Luongo as their new captain.

Coach Alain Vigneault says Luongo can't wear the C on his jersey because he's a goalie but is permitted to be designated the team's captain.

The team also named three alternates in Ryan Kesler, Mattias Ohlund and Willie Mitchell.

Luongo says he's ready to lead and is excited by the opportunity.

The Canucks were left without a captain after Markus Naslund signed a free agent contract with the New York Rangers in the off-season.

The Swedish forward, whose leadership abilities were often criticized, had worn the C since 2000.

Other Canucks captains have included Mark Messier, Stan Smyl, Orland Kurtenbach and Trevor Linden, who retired this summer.


No comments: